Skip to content ↓

SEND Information Report

Our information report has been created in collaboration with the parents of children with SEND.

1. What types of SEND do you make provision for at Charter?




Charter is an inclusive school and the types of SEND that we make provision for are wide ranging.

We have experience of working with children who have needs in the following areas:

  • Sensory and/or Physical (including supporting children with visual impairments, hearing impairments, dyspraxia, global development delays and MS)
  • Communication and Interaction (including supporting children diagnosed with ASD/ AS and speech and language difficulties)
  • Cognition and Learning (including supporting children with dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties)
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health (including supporting children who have difficulties controlling their behaviour, Tourette’s, ADHD).

The areas in brackets are examples and we are extremely flexible and committed to training our staff to ensure that the needs of the children in our care are met. If your child has a need that has not been mentioned on the above list then our first port of call would be to discuss with you, the parent, the needs of your child and then make plans accordingly.

2. How do you identify children with SEND?



This is always done in discussion with all of the people who work with a child. Initial identification of needs is made through discussions with yourselves, school staff, the child and in discussions with outside agencies.

Once school has a full picture of a child’s needs support will be provided in school and a referral may be made to an outside agency.

3. Where can I find the school Special Educational Needs and Disabilities policy?

See the bottom of this page for our SEND Policy.

It has been ratified by governors and will be reviewed annually.

4. How do you make sure that SEND provision is effective?

Throughout the school monitoring of pupil progress is carried out for all pupils, whether they are identified as having SEND or not. Teaching staff attend half termly Progress Meetings run by the Assessment Co-ordinator/ Phase Leaders and attended by the SENDCO. Within these meetings pupil progress is discussed and any children who are not making the expected progress are identified and a plan of action is made to give these children access to additional support in the future. As parents you will be informed of this additional support.

We also understand that the provision that your child requires isn’t always related to academic progress. Behavioural interventions, for example, are monitored by the SENDCO and staff involved through a number of means e.g. behaviour charts, behaviour frequency charts, discussions with staff and child, observations of the child’s behaviour before and after intervention.

We aim to keep parents involved every step of the way and we hope that through regular meetings you and your child can play a significant role in monitoring the provision we are making for them.

5. How do you assess and review the progress of children with SEND?

At Charter we assess and review the progress of children with SEND through termly Pupil Progress meetings (see above), termly SEND discussions with parents, My Plan review meetings and in discussions with everyone who has involvement with a child.

6. How do you teach children with SEND?


We believe in inclusion at Charter so as much as possible we aim to teach all children within the classroom environment alongside their peers. In addition to this, however, we realise that in some instances 1:1 work or small group support works best for some children for part of their day. In most year groups formal interventions take place during afternoon sessions. We closely monitor these sessions and adapt provision where necessary.

Again before a child is due to begin additional intervention sessions we will inform parents that this support will be taking place.

Within morning English and Maths lessons Teacher and Teaching Assistant support is deployed according to the needs of the children in the class.

In addition to all of the support we offer children in our school we also feel that developing independence is essential. In relation to children with SEND we aim to give planned opportunities for children to develop their independence, where appropriate.

7. How do you adapt the curriculum and environment for children with SEND?

In close discussion with parents, children and school staff who have worked with a child we adapt the curriculum and environment appropriately. We have areas for staff to work with smaller groups or individuals to support learning.

In school we have ramps, disabled access toilet, and our grounds are accessible for people with disabilities.

At Charter we have developed a THRIVE room and  a Chill and Chalk Room  to enable children who may need time out from the classroom setting to have suitable spaces to calm or re-focus them.

We train staff regularly to ensure they have knowledge of different strategies to support different learning styles and Special Educational Needs.

8. What additional support is available for children with SEND at Charter?


The support that is available for children with SEND has been discussed to some extent already.

Each Phase has Teaching Assistants who can be deployed to support the needs of children across a specific year group and run afternoon intervention sessions.

We also have a Child and Family Pastoral Support Manager (Tina Hagyard) at Charter who works with children as a Learning Mentor. She is supported in her role by Maria Morris.

We are lucky enough to have Kathy Ryan, Speech and Language therapist, working at our school for 1day a week. Kathy completes screenings, full speech and language assessments, delivers training and delivers therapy sessions.

We have links with outside agencies and make referrals where necessary to receive additional support from the authority through Statutory Assessments and Education Health and Care Plans.

You can see agencies we work with by clicking here.

9. Will my child have access to extracurricular activities?


Absolutely. We firmly believe that all children should be able to be involved in all aspects of school life. We run a variety of lunchtime clubs and after school activities that cater for a wide range of interests and abilities.

10. How do you support children with emotional and social difficulties?


We run interventions for groups and individuals as appropriate. We have staff who have been trained in Thrive and we have a Child and Family Pastoral Support Manager within school.

There are also specific Thrive interventions running across the school this year.


11. Who is your SENDco?

Who is the inclusion manager?

How do I contact you?

Allison Ward – SENDco

02476 466391

Zoe Tite – Inclusion Manager

02476 466391

12. What training have your staff had in relation to SEND?

How do I know my child will get the appropriate support?

The Training of Staff in the school is wide reaching. Here is some of the recent training:

Autism L1 training

Communicate in Print

Forest School

GDPR- General Data Protection Regulation

RWInc Training

Safeguarding – With particular regard to SEND

SENDCO – briefings, conferences and networks.

Speech and Language


Training on the SEND Code of Practice and referral process

Team Teach (Behaviour management/ Positive Handling)

Visits to local Specialist provision.

Vocabulary- Rachel Clarke


Word Aware


Future Planned training -

Strategies for supporting Dyslexia within the classroom

Primary Mental Health - Anxiety, Attachment and Self-Harm

All staff have access to interactive Professional Development tools relating to SEND (see useful resources section).

13. What will happen if my child needs additional resources to support them in school?

If it is decided that your child needs additional resources to support them in school we will go about providing them. This will initially be through the schools SEN budget and then if more support is required a request for an Education Health and Care Plan may be made for your child with your permission.

14. How do you involve parents in processes relating to SEND?

We aim to involve parents at all levels of SEND provision. At Charter we hold regular meetings (once a term) to measure your child’s progress against their targets. If your child has an Education Health and Care Plan we have Annual Review meetings with all stakeholders.

Our doors are always open and you can always contact us at school. Your first port of call would be your child’s class teacher who would then refer you to the SENDco/ Inclusion manager where necessary.

We have also set up this section of our schools website to keep you up to date and informed.

Please contact us with any queries or suggestions. 

15. Will you listen to my child’s view?

We think it is really important to listen to your child’s point of view about their SEND. With older children this is much easier to do and we are thinking of new ways all of the time to get the views of younger children in an effective but age appropriate way.

Where appropriate My Plans are developed with the children and we ask for their views before implementing strategies.

16. How do I go about making a complaint relating to SEND provision?

We hope that in working closely with yourself that we will be able to rectify any issues before things get this far.

However, if a complaint needs to be made relating to SEND provision please contact the following members of staff in this order:

  1. SENDco (Allison Ward)
  2. Inclusion Manager (Zoe Tite)
  3. Head teacher (Louise Stewart)
  4. SEND Governor (Gill Browett)

School Phone Number: 02476 466391


17. What steps have you taken to prevent children with SEND from being treated less favourably than other children?

At Charter we promote inclusion and actively encourage children to have empathy for others. Our anti-bullying, equal opportunities and behaviour policies support this aim.

Provision, equipment and training is put in place where necessary to ensure fair and equal access to a broad and balanced curriculum to suit a child’s SEN.

18. What access facilities are in place for children with SEND?

We work closely with representatives from Health, Sensory Support services, Physiotherapy and Occupational therapy to carry out programmes with children who need additional support.

We follow guidance from Local Authority specialists-  Complex Communications Team; Social, Emotional and Mental Health Team; Speech and Language Therapists; Educational Psychologists.

Whenever possible we include parents of children with SEND to enable children to be supported in a consistent way both at home and at school.

We ensure that all children have the opportunity to access school visits and extracurricular activities e.g. specialist coaches for wheelchair access and pre-trip discussions for those children who dislike change.

Link to Accessibility Plan

19. What are your admission arrangements for children with SEND?

As a school we welcome all children and to ensure that all needs are met. A pre-admission home visit is undertaken by our  Inclusion Manager and or Learning Mentors to ensure that the school is adequately resourced to meet the needs of children entering Charter.

The admin manager ensures that all information regarding new pupils to the school is passed to the relevant parties (e.g. class teachers, TAs and the SENDco).

20. How does the school involve outside agencies to meet the needs of children with SEND?


If we have put support in place for children and this is not having an impact our next step would be to involve outside agencies. We discuss your child’s needs, strengths and difficulties with all appropriate parties (you included) and decide on which agency is the most appropriate for us to make the referral to. We would then complete the paper work in conjunction with yourselves and keep you informed of developments.

Please be aware that referrals to agencies can take time.

Some of the agencies we frequently work with are:

  • Educational Psychology Service (EPS)
  • SEMH and Learning
  • Complex Communication Team (CCT)
  • NHS Speech and Language Therapy (SALT)
  • Communication Stop - Kathy Ryan (Private speech and language therapist)
  • Sensory Support (SS)
  • Occupational Therapy (OT)
  • Physiotherapy (PT)
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • Neurodevelopmental Team
  • Integrated Primary Mental Health Service (IPMHS)

21. How can I contact family support services?


  • Tina Hagyard

Child and Family Pastoral Support Manager :

02476 466391 (Charter)

  • SEND Information and Advice Service:

(open 9.00am - 5.00pm)

Limbrick Wood Centre,

Thomas Naul Croft,

Tile Hill,




Tel: 024 7669 4307

Fax: 024 7669 5627

22. My child is moving from/ to a different school/ class/ phase. How will you support them in this?

We take transition very seriously at Charter. We feel that preparing your child fully for any changes will help to eliminate any concerns or worries they may have.

We provide transition booklets for children who need them when they are moving between year groups and ensure they have additional visits to their new class. For children who have a diagnosis of ASD we complete Pen Portraits which are sent up to the next teacher.

The Year 6 teachers choose certain children to attend additional transition run by our Learning Mentors. These sessions are then followed up at Secondary School.

23. Where can I find out what provision the Local Authority offer young people with SEND?

Click here for Local Offer: